NOTICE TO NEW MEMBERS!

Before doing anything, please fill out the form in the Starter Pack Bonus thread!
(You can find it by going to "Information Desk" and then clicking the thread titled "Starter Pack Bonus".)

You will not be able to play the games, trade with others, take from updates, etc. until after you've been moved from the Pending section on the Members List!

Suggestion Tag

For talking about anime, manga, games, and anything related!
Amber

Suggestion Tag

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am

For the month of July, the Sakura Matsuri mods are hosting a flash game called "Suggestion Tag" in which players may post what kinds of anime/manga and games they like, and ask for suggestions from their fellow players!

Please note that you do not have to participate in Sakura Matsuri in order to play or earn rewards from this game. However, if you haven't already, you are more than welcome to create a thread to redeem an additional 4 random cards in July 2018's Stall #6, should you post 2 suggestions for other players!

RULES
  • When posting, don't forget to include what you would like suggestions for, or the next player won't know what to respond to! It's okay to repost what you are personally looking for if you want as many suggestions as possible for that particular request. It's also okay to post your MAL profile too to help, but please also include a blurb about what you want specifically in your post.
    Your request can be general (tell me your favorite anime/game), specific (horror/action/idols/etc), whatever you wish!
  • Please respond to the player that posted before you, and with a suggestion you legitimately feel would suit their preferences. If you don't know what to suggest, please let someone else respond.
  • Players must wait until 3 other people post before they can post again. Otherwise, there's no limit to how many plays you can make in a single round!
  • That said, to ensure variety, please only respond to each player once.
    For example, if I gave Haylee a suggestion on my last turn, and she's just posted again (wow Haylee), and I am able to make a play, I cannot post again until someone I haven't given a recommendation to before posts.
  • Please keep track of how many suggestions you've made at the bottom of your post/after your play with a link to the the suggestion you made and the name of who it was for!
    For example, something like: Suggestions made: Haylee, Cassidy, yasu etc (but linked to the actual post where your suggestion was made)
  • Rewards: For each suggestion made to a unique player, you will receive 1 random card. If you turn 2 suggestions in to Sakura Matsuri, you will earn an additional 4 random cards.

As the first player has no one to really respond to, let's open the discussion with a general topic (said first player may log this suggestion as 'General' in their tracker):

What anime would you recommend to someone who has never watched it before?

This game will close at the same time the July 2018 edition of Sakura Matsuri ends (JULY 31, 2018 at 11:59PM EST) so please make sure to post before it does!

Cami
♦ Independence ♦

Re: Suggestion Tag

Post by Cami » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 am

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
While Brotherhood is a better series overall, I feel like the 2003 anime would be better for newbies who are just getting introduced to the medium. It's got fairly decent dub, and is acknowledged as one of the few good dubbed series out there (at least in English) - which is good for newbies because watching subbed right off the bat and having to read while watching can be a bit tiring if you're just starting out.

2. Pokemon
Particularly the first series. It's a classic. The only reason it's not number one is because most people watch it without even knowing that it's an anime, but I definitely recommend the early Pokemon series.

3. Aikatsu!
Introductory anime to idol hell. I chose this one because much of its first season/series actually explains what's going on - and it shows quite a bit of what happens behind the scenes (although not as much as some others). It had a decent balance of showing the glamour of idol culture as well as the work that goes into actually being an idol.

I'm trying to give horror anime a shot for once. Any good series out there that you think I should check out?
Image Image
sexy sexy want to do it
★☆ card post // forum trades ☆★

Jessica
kira ~

Post by Jessica » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 am

I would highly suggest Shiki or Parasyte! While Shiki's a bit slow in the beginning, it def starts to pick up and is the right amount of creepy/scary without going too over the top. I would also suggest Parasyte for the story/character development; it is more along the realm of psychological horror though!

I'll looking for more action/adventure/fantasy anime! Please be aware that I've seen over 1000 anime, so I'm linking my profile here

Suggestion Made: Cami
Last edited by Jessica on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 am

For someone who hasn't seen any anime, my go-to is always Cowboy Bebop! It also happens to be my favorite anime so I'm definitely biased, but I think it's fairly straightforward to understand, doesn't have too many Japanese/complicated names (which I know can be a barrier for some people), lots of English music, etc. The dub is also great! It's hard for me to answer these kinds of questions because I would usually ask a person what kind of genres they like before anything else, but Baccano! would be good for comedy/action, it's all over the place but in a good way, and maybe even My Hero Academia? That's a little more standard fair to understand. Basically I avoid anything too zany/complicated/filled with anime tropes that we all dislike but are used to but 'normal' people would be very 'uhhhh' over.
Cami wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 am
I'm trying to give horror anime a shot for once. Any good series out there that you think I should check out?
I'm seconding Jessica with Shiki and Parasyte! I actually just watched Shiki recently and it was pretty good, and I liked Parasyte because it was based on an older franchise so that's always fun. Devilman: Crybaby has horror themes if you haven't seen that, but it's also incredibly hard on the gore/sex so if that's not your thing, you probably won't like it (though in its defense, I don't like those sorts of things and I enjoyed it). Paranoia Agent is also great, but I'd classify that as more thriller. Shinsekai Yori has an overall creepy theme. I think the problem with anime is it's like everything horror related where a lot of them have them sprinkled in but it's not the main genre, and some of the straight horror just isn't that good.
Jessica wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 am
I'll looking for more action/adventure/fantasy anime! Please be aware that I've seen over 1000 anime, so I'm linking my profile here
Jess I want to suggest you stuff, but your list is private!

So for me, I honestly don't even know what my preferences are anymore, LOL. Something I can say for sure is that I'm a very character-driven person, so sometimes large casts can be fun for me because I can find a lot of characters to like. I would say I probably prefer adventure/drama stuff, but I'm pretty open. If you have any anime you just think is really good and should be seen, I'd like to hear about it! My favorites and what I consider really good aren't always necessarily the same thing, but just for a baseline: some of my favorite shows are Cowboy Bebop, Monogatari, and Fate/Zero. My MAL is over here! I also rate basically everything a 7 so don't take that too much into account.
❀ Feel free to trade with me! ❀

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am

Cami wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 am
I can recc maybe a few comics related to "horror". Tho Horror is subjective of course, but some series I ended up liking were: Any Kazuo Umezz or Ito Junji (tho these are common and popular horror comic artist, so I am sure you have messed with their stuff before.), Biomeat, and sing Apparently Gantz, Berserk, and Claymore count (I would call these more action in a horrible universe then horror) I would reccomend those too, at least on a visual component. RIP I apparently have read a lot of horror and have given them highish ratings, but I cant remember them for the life of me if they really were good or not :( sorry those ones above were ones I just remember liking.

- - - - - - -

1. GUNGRAVE (2004)
Genres: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Seinen, Super Power
GUNGRAVE is an anime series that was based off a PS2 videogame of the same name that revolves around the character Brandon Heat and Harry MacDowel, two friends who go from petty street crimes to high class mafian work. There is a bit of a sci-fi element that is involved with part of this series that is honestly a bit hit and miss, and it shows the most in the first episode. But in the overall story, its not the main focus or what you will take away from this. Its a wonderful series about friendship and betrayl. I say if your curious to get into this, honestly go ahead and skip episode 1. Not only does it throw you off on the series topic and theme, it will be retold to you again about 20 episodes later anyways. For completion sake, watch the first one later one id say, its honestly not needed or probably recommended for this series. Outside of that, I highly recommend this series for people interested in Action/Drama.

2. Get Backers Dakkanya (2002)
Genres: Action, Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural
Get Backers is probably my favorite comic book series overall. Its something I grew up with and still hold to high esteem today. It follows Mido Ban and Amano Ginji, who run a business that promises to get back a stolen or lost item with a success rate of (almost) 100%. Its almost always easier said then done, however with Ban and Ginji's abilities, these two can usually stand up to what ever gets in their way. Its some of my favorite things in a comic: Action, Comedy, and Super Power elements. That being said, the Anime is Pretty ... decent. It does suffer from what a lot of ongoing series suffer from: useless plots and changed stories. I say that is probably it's biggest fault. However, the anime still does well in this category. The stories that comic from the comic are still pretty good and hold their emotion and comedy, while a lot of the stories made for the series fit well within the universe. The series still sets a great action series with honestly just well done characters. If you had to pick one or the other, I would recommend the Comic over the anime, mainly as the comic series was 39 volumes and the anime was 49 episodes. The anime just ends no sweat, while the comic of course has a huge ending arc. The art in the comic is also one of the best things about this series, as everything had such attention and detail put into it, while the anime was.... an early 2000s anime.... Either way though, Both are honestly entertaining and good.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V (2014)
Genres: Action, Game, Fantasy, Shounen
I had to list a YGO... I'm sorry but I just had to. ARC-V is the 5th installment in the long running children's card-game anime, and like all of its predecessors, its an emotional ride. the series STARTS off with one protagonist, Sakaki Yuuya, who during a duel with an opponent name-isn't-important, summons in with his pendant a new type of summoning method called 'Pendulum Summon'. This causes people from all over to become interested in this new type of dueling, and it brings forth quite a few rivals. However, that honestly doesn't matter after season 1 because the rest of the series becomes something 100% different, and focuses more on different dimensions and <s>existential crisises</s> other characters who relate to Yuuya in more ways then he could imagine. I recommend this series because honestly, it gets ignored by people because its just "another" Yu-Gi-Oh! series. The beginning doesn't start off too unique and just features more creative dueling, but it doesn't actually take to long to progress into the craziness it really is. Like I mentioned earlier, this series gets emotional quite a few times, And instead of dropping all of that at the end, it actually starts pretty earlier :'). Also the biggest plus is it does bring in older characters from previous series so win/win. Its a pretty darn engaging entry into the YGO universe, that has left a pretty big impression on me, and has become one of my top favorites of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Universe.

These are my reccs that focus more in the Action and Shounen/Seinen series. For me, I enjoy well done Action, Horror, and Comedy. I haven't seen anything in a while so I am out of the loop of whats cool in Anime and Comics. :'B Also sorry if I did this one wrong. I think we just recommend offhandedly this round, right?

What I have seen/read on MAL - (might be semi outdated...)

Amber

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:16 am

Hey friends! Just a few notes as we're starting this round, and a reminder to please read the rules in the first post!
  • Please make sure to keep track of who you have responded to at the bottom of your post! The first post has an example included for what we're looking for.
  • Please only respond to the player that last posted just before you. That's why we named this game Suggestion Tag!
  • Please do not respond if you do not have a recommendation for the player that posted last!
Given this --
Lee wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 am
Sorry Lee, but since Jessica was the player that you were meant to provide a suggestion to and she did ask for general anime/fantasy recommendations that you could play off of, this will not count as a play or be rewarded!
Jun wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am
Also sorry if I did this one wrong. I think we just recommend offhandedly this round, right?
I'm so sorry Jun but... no... lmao -- in this case you should have replied to Lee's request for suggestions in particular, so this will not count as a play or be rewarded!

For the sake or returning back to the game, please recommend something for Jun only based on what she indicated she enjoys.

Haylee
゚*。Glitter Queen 。* ゚

Post by Haylee » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:32 am

Jun, I found this really neat looking anime that might be good to try! It's a comedy, has ghosts, dead bodies, AND boobs... double win, right??? Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san

I love me a really good Slice of Life anime. Got any good suggestions for that??

Suggestions Made: Jun

Kairi

Post by Kairi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 pm

some voice on discord whispered to me......... that out there... a soul was asking for slice of suggestions and i just had to come...

ALRIGHT

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M HITTING YOU WITH FIRST
  • Aria
    Very tempted to just put this in a size 54 font but I'll refrain from it.... OK SO, it might not be your type of thing as there are no boys (i'm lying there's like... 3 but not really important) and you apparently want comedy, but I could not not recommend Aria. Aria's story starts with Akari - she moves from Manhome (so like Earth) to Aqua (so like Mars, but now with people living there), specifically Neo Venezia which is a replica of the original Venezia. In this city, there's people called Undines that take people on gondola rides and show them around the city - Akari is joining Aria Company as their newest trainee.

In this journey, she meets two other trainees from other companies and the rest of the journey is their path to becoming full fledged Undines. So basically each episode/chapter touches on Akari exploring being a trainee and the art of gondoliering, exploring Neo Venezia and how Aqua works and just making a lot of acquaintances along the way. I think the relationships formed between the characters and their struggles are what makes Aria so good. I found it's so easy to relate to them or when you're having a hard day, the calm atmosphere of an episode that is just focusing on exploring Neo Venezia and seeing good things helps a lot.

It's definitely not something that is like "I GOTTA WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS", but it's such a feel good type of anime. This might sound a bit weird, but I loved those characters so much because they all felt real - Aria has a lot of comedy but it also touches on problems and struggles + the characters often offer advice on how to work on it or approach it in a way that doesn't feel judgmental.

As promised I will not write an essay, but I can definitely expand on this should you wish :eyes: I say give it a try and see how it works for you!

They have cat presidents, Haylee.

Like I'm not saying Aria has the Jumin Han seal of approval but it surely does??? And Jumin Han is always right js

Also is a permanent source of good reaction images??

look at this picture of me you and amber - alice (green hair) and aika (blue) are you when it's 5 minutes to the matsuri deadline and akari (pink) - me is playing bandori instead

WATCH/READ ARIA, I CRIED AND LAUGHED AND HAD A GOOD TIME, LOVE THE WHOLE CAST THEY'RE ALL GREAT
  • Yuru Yuri / Lucky Star / Minami-ke / Himouto! Umaru-chan

ALRIGHT, since you asked for comedy recommendations, these were the first that came to mind!

The first two are the stereotypical Kairi anime and features a pretty much 100% girl cast doing things. Both are very focused on comedy (not all of it well delivered), so I think these have the highest chance of you enjoying them. Lucky Star also has a lot of anime references (but it was released in 2007, so please bare in mind that's the general years it'll be referencing).

Lucky Star has 26 episodes and Yuru Yuri is slightly longer as it now has 3 seasons (at 13 episodes each if I'm not mistaken) - I'd say give it a shot with the first episodes since they should give you a feel on what the anime will be like.

Also can you believe I'm featured on Yuru Yuri? And again?

I feel like those two are a good place to start, but I'm also adding Himouto! Umaru-chan because it was hilarious and Umaru is funny as heck. I watched Minami-ke a few years ago and didn't watch all seasons yet, but I remember it being funny and good too!
--

I've always enjoyed josei anime/manga like NANA and been looking for something that feels similar for a few years now! So if anyone had recommendations similar (or just josei in general tbh), I'd love to hear them!

Suggestions Made to: Haylee
[permanently tired]
trade post

Cami
♦ Independence ♦

Post by Cami » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 pm

If you like NANA, then I think you'll like Paradise Kiss. I would also recommend Skip Beat. Although it's not technically josei, it's similar to NANA because of it's strong female lead.

Suggestions Made: General, Kairi

Always looking for idol anime recommendations. Props to anyone that actually comes up with something I haven't heard of.
Last edited by Cami on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
sexy sexy want to do it
★☆ card post // forum trades ☆★

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Cami wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 pm
Always looking for idol anime recommendations.
Maybe you saw this one, maybe not. Its very shoujo... Kirarin Revolution. It was marked towards younger girls, but then again what idol series isn't? (dont answer that). I read the comics a lot in school tho, the characters were just real cute. Its kind of like a story about a girl who out of dumb luck gets thrown into the idol worlds. This and of course Pri Para. Both are nice, just young girls being idols! Dream come true..

For me: I still like horror or good shounen/seinen
Suggestions Made: This one to Cami